Our waiting list is currently closed so we are not taking applications. Please check again later if you are interested in living at Windmill Line.
When the waiting list is open, this is the process we follow. For information about units and housing charges, click here.
Windmill Line Co-op Membership Application Process
- To live at Windmill Line, your household must apply for membership in the co-op. Application forms are generally available by pick up only, when our waiting list is open. Contact the co-op office (call 416 366-7358, ext. 221,
- Return the completed form to the office with (a) proof of income and (b) a non-refundable $20.00 application fee (cheque preferable). Each completed application form receives a number according to the order in which it was received by the office; this establishes the order in which units are offered. Each person 16 years and older must submit an application and pay the $20.00 application fee.
- The application then goes through these steps:
- Co-op staff will conduct credit and landlord checks. All information is held in strictest confidence by the office.
- The applicant(s) will be invited to an interview with two members of the Member Selection Committee. All members of the household 16 and older will be interviewed.
- The Member Selection interviewers report to their committee, which then makes a recommendation to the Board of Directors. The Board is responsible for accepting new members. Their decision is made based on the Eligibility Criteria. Please note: the process may take several weeks.
- Applicants who are rejected may appeal. Appeals must be received by the office within 30 days of the Board's initial decision.
- After the Board accepts an application, the household will be placed on the waiting list in date order. When a unit becomes available and the household is at the top of the list, they will be contacted and given the opportunity to accept the unit.
- Upon accepting the unit the household will:
- pay a $200.00 non-refundable deposit with a certified cheque or money order to secure the unit (this amount is credited to the Member Deposit upon move-in)
- sign a Subsidy Waiver and sign an Occupancy Agreement after having read the co-op by-laws
- before receiving the keys, pay the first and last months' housing charges (rent), and the Member Deposit (40% of one month's housing charge, to which the $200.00 non-refundable deposit will be credited) and a one time $5.00 membership fee per member. Full membership and voting rights become effective upon occupancy.